Tuesday, May 15, 2012

EAT-- Have I Talked About Oatmeal?

So for the first month I was on WW, my breakfast consisted of 2 eggs, a sprinkling of cheese and some canadian bacon, all mixed up in a bowl and microwaved. It wasn't a bad breakfast, points-wise, but if my doctor wants me to lower my cholesterol, eating 2 eggs every day is probably not going to help with that. And I kept hearing about oatmeal, specifically steel-cut oatmeal.  About how good it is for you. I wanted to give it a try, but two things held me back: 1) I was worried that because oatmeal does not have as much protein as my egg breakfast, it would not hold me the 4 hours I needed it to when I was at work, and 2) It takes 25 minutes to cook!  What a pain in the ass!  I don't have 25 minutes every morning to make oatmeal! I kept talking to my oatmeal eating friends, and they gave me a good idea for cooking it.  Just make a bunch of it ahead of time! So was continuing to think about it, because if anyone can overthink something it's me. Then one day I was at the grocery store with my friend Cari, and she walked me through the buying of the oatmeal and also some almond milk which she uses to make it.  Armed with my new healthy breakfast items, I decided to make 4 servings on Sunday night and eat them during the week.  So I did! I used 1 cup of oatmeal to 4 cups liquid, 2 cups water and 2 cups almond milk. I portioned it into 4 bowls so that I could just take out a bowl in the morning and microwave it. I added some blueberries to it and it was delicious!  Now I eat it all the time! Yay me!  Anyway, I heartily recommend it to anyone and everyone. It can't hurt!

No comments: