Tuesday, May 8, 2012

I Never Saw It Coming

I have a cell phone.  It is not a smart phone. I like to call it my dumb phone. It does what I want it to do.  I can call and text, take pictures, and be reminded to take out the trash and clean the cat box.   I figure if I need the internet there is always one of my friends around with a smart phone to look up whatever I need. That has always been enough for me. Until lately. Allow me to make my case for a smart phone:
EAT:  There are some really great apps from Weight Watchers that would make tracking what I eat much easier. In addition to the restaurant points guides, there is a really cool app that allows you to scan the barcode of most foods and will calculate the point value for you right there in the aisle of Walmart! These apps would allow me to be make better choices if I am on the go and have nothing planned.
KNIT:  Again with the cool apps. Tools to make the knitter's life easier abound! Not to mention, if I had a camera phone that I could beam pictures right to Ravelry with, I might be better at posting my projects on there.
BIKE: So I was on my first bike ride on Saturday with Andrea, and we were going over the rules of the road and talking about bike accessories. She mentioned how long we had been riding and how far we went.  I asked her if she had a cyclometer on her handlebars and she said no, she has an app that uses GPS to track her rides.  I said, so essentially, space is your cyclometer, and she said yes. Well,that was the last straw. I want a smart phone now!
I am sure I am not convincing any of you, as you have most likely already drank the smartphone kool-aid. So I guess the question is this.  Do I really need an iPhone, or will something else do as well?

No comments: